Sunday, August 06, 2006

Che

There are few people more inspiring than such souls. And few they are because they are usually painted in the colours percieved by their opponents and less frequently perhaps by their proponents. Six years ago while on a beach emotionally and intellectually alone I had a book in hand that I got from my Father without stealing it from him. Its a very valuable book because it still has notes he made in it while he was in his youth. As I read that book I would close my eyes thinking of my dream, because at that stage the very first steps by me were being taken similar to the journey taken in the book. This was a whole four years before I heard of Che or before the movie 'Motorcycle Diaries' was released. The plan still holds, for the last two years I have been conspiring various ways to save a minimal cash base, the objective being to purchase my Bullet and to metaphorically conquer the subcontinent (I also have a secret desire to conquer the Latina land, but one at a time). I have done the islands enough that I still feel the pangs of separation. For a time this was a possible ideal and was going to be achieved, until of course responsibilities began to catch up with me. That hasn't thrown me off course though. But I think what may have really got me was that I wanted to share this experience with someone who was not just interested, but who believed in it and who I wanted to share it with. It is now two years since we have crossed any path physical or electronic or paper, and I dont know how to share the idea, because for some reason I am convinced that among the many people I have met over the years, she was one who was eager to learn and experience. I guess if she just told me she was not interested in this ideal I would move on.