Tuesday, October 31, 2006

stupid research notes

Introduction: you remember that story of mine about the three week jinx. the theory states that no relationship with the opposite sex shall start prior to one month preceding departure from the landmass. That the theory will be invalidated in submarine environments or in space may be tested in future. unfortunately i am reminded of it even though every one but me thinks its stupid. some thing about women and me. I admit I am asexual and asocial for most of everyday. but it seems there must be some change in my body language, behavior and attitude precisely a month before i leave the continent. so two weeks ago when I met this girl, I was like "bingo, three weeks", I am leaving the continent on thanks giving (25th Nov). Only there is variation in that three weeks. The longest I have had any relationship was about three months. One of my little anatomy students who unfortunately was interested in me when I was at my busiest. well she got tired and found a boy friend. the new girl and I are going out this weekend. there is some chemistry in the air, can feel it and i smell it, am gonna play along. after all I am leaving the country on Monday instead. Yes, new developments, I am moving to Paris (France) on Monday/Tuesday. She sounded pretty disappointed when I told her I was leaving. I promised to get her something, but did not tell her that I may not be returning.

methods and analysis: now for the interesting part - the math. I turn a year short of three decades in three months to the date. assuming I am young, alive and mentally and sexually active till I am 60 (on the conservative side) that is 30 years more.

(30 years x 52 weeks in a year) / (3 weeks per relationship) = 520 relationships in thirty years

discussion: that is the maximum number of relationships I will have based on current trends, assuming women come by like groceries. assuming I don't do double or triple groceries from time to time.

the minimum based on the above stated trend is 30 relationships.

Will the relationships increase in length as my job lengths/stability increase? The above phenomenon suggests that the more stable my job or life the fewer the relationships. However, in order to achieve the maximum possible relationships I must have as many changes in my address or job or both in the next thirty years or at least a new address or job every 12 months, for the minimum.

It should be noted that the above calculations do not take into account variation or standard deviation in duration of relationships. And a relationship greater than 3 months is considered an outlier or near improbability based on history.

conclusion: considering that jobs tend to be more stable and longer lasting than my relationships, it is very possible that the final realized number of transient relationships will not exceed the minimum of 30, and durable relationships will still remain elusive.

Isn't this a good use of education? you must wonder why I was taught math or even sent to school.